June 28, 2015

Hinulawan Festival 2015

In the past year, I haven't talk about my very own hometown. I spent 17 years of my life (and still counting) in my hometown. I guess it's time for you to get to know me and my hometown Toledo City more. Toledo City is 50 kilometers / 1 hour  30 mins away from Cebu City. Formerly known as Pueblo Hinulawan is a third income class city in the province of Cebu Province, Philippines (Wiki). 

One thing that I always look forward every year is our very own Hinulawan Festival. Hinulawan is a contraction two Cebuano words, HIN- from hinaguan and ULAWAN from bulawan. Which literally translates to "hard-earned gold". Also, from the former name of the city Hinulawan. Celebrated every 12th of the month of June. In honor of our patron saint San Juan de Sahagun. Four golden features of the city are highlighted in the festival namely : Golden Harvest, Golden Friendship, Golden Treasure and Golden Faith.  It depicts the history of the city's past to the present era expressed through dancing and ritual. This is the part two of my Hinulawan Festival post. You may read the part one here.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (18)

I miss the first ever Hinulawan Festival as I was in the capital - Manila for my studies. And I think it's a blessing in disguise that after a year I have to go home to Cebu. If I did not go home I wont be able to experience any of this wonderful festivities. 

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (10)

San Juan de Sahagun Parish Church.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (8)

I love this grotto made of shells.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (4)

Vendors selling Rosaries, figures/statues and prayer book outside the church. 

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (6)

The tradition of lightning of candles or panagkut in local term.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (5)

Perfect weather for today's celebration. Thank you Lord.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (14)

San Juan de Sahagun.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (17)

After we went to church my Tita and Tito heeded to parola to witness the dance ritual competition.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (20)

Participants from Carmen Copper School. Yes! the participants are students.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (21)

Participants form University of Visayas -Toledo Campus. 

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (24)

For this year only four schools join the competition.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (25)

All the participants surely give their time and effort to this event. 

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (26)

Imagining the sleepless and tiring practice in preparation.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (29)

The colorful and wonderful costumes add it to the very colorful day.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (28)

Kings and Queens for each schools.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (30)

Participants from Toledo National Vocational School.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (31)

King and Queen participants from my beloved Alma matter Consolatrix College of Toledo City.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (32)

King and Queen participants from Toledo National Vocational School. //My personal favorite costume

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (33)

King and Queen participants from UV - Toledo.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (34)

King and Queen participants from Carmen Copper.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (35)

Finally, I manage to take a photo of my Alma matter school participants Consolatrix College of Toledo City.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (36)

 The event is  a friendly competition and a halad(offering) but as always, a very close competition from my CCTC and TNVS.

Hinulawan Festival, Toledo City, Cebu Philippines, The College Candy (38)

And the crowd goes wild after announcing the winner. Congratulations TNVS for winning the King and Queen Competition and to my Alma matter for winning the Dance ritual competition. To the rest of the participants you did will also congratulations.

I only manage to watch the finale of the the event where all participant's dance as one. I plan to stay at home the whole day but my Tita literally drag me to come with them. Anyways, I manage to take a video of the finale dance. Sorry the video is a not as HD as you think.



Hinulawan Festival 2015 is a touch with  modernity. Which I think is very okay to the point that teenagers always remember and enjoy them. It was super fun and I can't wait for next year. Hopefully you could join the fun next year.



I hope you enjoy my Hinulawan Festival post. See you on my next post. 
Vanessa
Vanessa

Vanessa is from Cebu, Philippines who loves to document her personal style, daily life, wanderlust and Japan Love in this small space she considers her personal diary.