August 8, 2015

Fashion on Point: Interview with Filipina Fashion Designer Kaye of Dolly Kaye

Fashion on Point: Interview with Filipina Fashion Designer Kaye of Dolly Kaye | TheCollegeCandy.com
Dolly Kaye logo by Little Miss Paintbrush

Kaye Romero Filipina Fashion Designer behind the Kawaii Brand Dolly Kaye.



Van: Could you please introduce yourself?
Kaye: Hello, I'm Kaye Romero, 24 from Bulacan and I am the designer and owner of the clothing line Dolly Kaye. *smiles* I'm a fan of the Japanese Culture especially its Kawaii Culture and fashion. I am also one of the Kawaii PH team and Japan Lover Me team here in the Philippines. *heart*


Van: How do you define fashion?
Kaye: Fashion for me is the way to express yourself without minding what others will say about you. It is also a way to express your art.


Van: Why did you decide to become a fashion designer?
Kaye: I always wanted to make kawaii dresses for myself and to all kawaii girls out there who wants to express themselves by their fashion and style. It is also my dream to be a fashion designer. *smiles*


Van: What is your favourite part about being a fashion designer?
Kaye: My favourite part is when I am sewing the pieces of the dress together, it's like a puzzle and I just cant wait to finish each dress and see how it looks on me.*laughs*.


Van: Most challenging about being a designer?
Kaye:  The most challenging part about being a designer is to keep the ideas going, to keep each dress unique. Sometimes for me, I just couldn't think of any ideas for my next collection,*laughs*. And, I also lose faith/confidence about my work, that people may not like it. ( Which is wrong btw. *laughs* )

Fashion on Point: Interview with Filipina Fashion Designer Kaye of Dolly Kaye | TheCollegeCandy.com
Dolly Kaye during Tamacon Fashion Show

Van: What is the concept and ideology behind Dolly Kaye?
Kaye: The concept behind Dolly Kaye is simply to make Kawaii and Dolly dresses for everyday.*smiles* My designs are always at its minimal so it can be used for everyday life. *smiles* Clothes made from my magical dreams, with a burst of pastel, kawaii, and girly theme. *smiles*


Van: Can you tell us how Dolly Kaye started?
Kaye: At first, I only make clothes for me and my sister, but people started to tell me that my designs are cute and I should sell them, (weeee *heart*) and then I made 12 dresses and started selling my designs and creations  at the Kawaii in Manila 2 last year. I never thought that I would be able to sell my dresses but it did. *heart* I also debuted on my first ever Fashion Show last year and it was super great. *heart* And from that day on, Dolly Kaye was born. *heart*
Fashion on Point: Interview with Filipina Fashion Designer Kaye of Dolly Kaye | TheCollegeCandy.com
Artwork by Little Miss Paintbrush for Kaye's A Love Letter's Promise Collection

Van: Where do you seek inspiration for your collection?
Kaye: I usually look into Japanese magazines for inspirations. My designs are mostly has a touch of pastel colors, cute graphics mostly girly stuff. *smiles*

Fashion on Point: Interview with Filipina Fashion Designer Kaye of Dolly Kaye | TheCollegeCandy.com
Kaye wearing her latest collection from 'Berry Berry Collection'

Van: Do you have new collection? Could you tell us about your new collection?
Kaye: My current collection is the Berry Berry Collection. *smiles* All dresses are made from a kawaii berry fabric, obviously. *laughs* I made 4 dresses for this collection and it is currently available for purchase at the Kawaii Ph Store. *smiles* I also released my " A Love letter's Promise Collection " which are Pastel Kei Wedding dresses. Which are also available on our store website. *hearts*

Fashion on Point: Interview with Filipina Fashion Designer Kaye of Dolly Kaye | TheCollegeCandy.com
Kaye wearing her  latest collection from 'Berry Berry Collection'

Van: Where would you like your career in fashion to lead you?
Kaye: My dream is to have my dresses available in Japan, and be known internationally for my works. *laughs* I know I have a long long way to go, but I will do my best to achieve it. *smiles*


Van: What are your plans for the future?
Kaye: I plan on making more kawaii clothes for my kababayans here in our country, to introduce them to the Kawaii fashion and lifestyle. *smiles* To expand my knowledge in sewing and to make more kawaii girls happy with my dresses *smiles*



IG: dollykaye
Twitter: dolly_kaye
FB Page: Dolly Kaye


Vanessa
Vanessa

Vanessa is from Cebu, Philippines who loves to document her personal style, daily life, wanderlust and Japan Love in this small space she considers her personal diary.