October 3, 2015

Cosplay Spotlight: Young Crusnik

Cosplay Spotlight: Young Crusnik - www.thecollegecandy.com
Seth Nightroad / Nightlord (Trinity Blood - manga ver.) 


Cosplay Name: Young Crusnik
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Years of Cosplay: 8 years
Website/ SNS:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/youngcrusnik (private account)
Shop: www.facebook.com/HKshoppe



Van: What is cosplay to you?
Young Crusnik: Cosplay is my stress giver and stress reliever hobby (specially when I cram... so much stress, butbit's worth it at the end of the day).


Van: What exactly did drive you into this hobby?
YC: I love anime ever since I was a kid (yey Voltes V dayssss ~ I feel so old). So before we migrated over to Cebu last 2006 (I'm originally from Manila...) I've never been to any event at all since events were really far far away where we stay, and was I still a kid back then... I think the farthest I've been alone was Valenzuela to SM North Edsa ~ one ride Tamaraw FX (or Vhire here in Cebu).


Van: When did you first start cosplaying and what was your first costume?
YC: I started cosplaying around ARCHcon 2008. Oh gadh... My first character was Road Camelot (D. Gray Man / you pronounced it as Rodo Kamerotto). It was during my "weab" days where you throw whatever there is in your closet and try to look as close to the character as you can. I threw in whatever coordinates I think could fit Road then went to the nearest salon had my long hair cut short in a fly away manner. Used gel and hairspray to make decent laughable spikes, eyeliner to make the crosses on her forehead, made Lero (or Rero... the Millenium Earl's talking pumpkin umbrella) using styrofoam ball and stuck it to a cheap pink umbrella I found in a store, and hand painted the stripes on a pink tigh high socks (which hurts like hell wearing it at first). I didn't have long white female polo blouse, so I used a sleeveless pink one with frills and a decent skirt I got from a nearby UK store (haha... yaku-yaku / ukay-ukay).


Van: What kind of characters do you usually choose when cosplaying?
YC: I choose whatever fits my fancy. It's really varied. I'd sometimes go for serious characters, to whimsical funny ones, to idiot adorable ones, then to the crazy cray cray next. So if I like a character, I would usually end up cosplaying it... That is if budget + time agrees while I'm not being lazy.

Cosplay Spotlight: Young Crusnik - www.thecollegecandy.com
Himari Takakura - Princess of the Crystal ver (Mawaru Penguindrum)
Photo: Melabraca / Kazagami (collab between Maki Akai and Ken Erana)


Van: How many characters have you cosplayed and which one is your personal favorite?
YC: I'm honestly not sure... Let me list them out and check. I don't really vount all my characters so I frankly have no idea how many have I done so far.

  • Road Camelot (D. Gray Man)
  • Misa Amane (Death Note)
  • A.B.A. (Guilty Gear)
  • China (Hetalia)
  • Megpoid Gumi - Steampunk OC (Vocaloid)
  • Azusa (K-On!)
  • March (Coyote Ragtime Show)
  • Taokaka (Blazblue: Calamity Trigger)
  • Felicita (La Storia della Arcana Famiglia)
  • Q (pronounced as Kyuu / [C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control)
  • Black Rock Shooter - The Game ver. (Black Rock Shooter the Game)
  • Seth Nightroad - manga (Trinity Blood)
  • Himari Takakura - Princess of the Crystal ver. (Mawaru Penguindrum)
  • Calne Ca / Karune Ka - Bacterial Contamination ver. (Vocaloid - derivative of Hatsune Miku)
  • Ruby Rose (RWBY)
  • Aisaka Taiga - Mecha Musume ver. (Toradora)
  • Mikasa Ackerman (Shingeki no Kyojin)
  • Annie Leonhardt (Shingeki no Kyojin)
  • Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
  • Harime Nui (Kill la Kill)
  • Queen (Final Fantasy Type - 0)
  • Tenten - Genin ver. (Naruto)
  • Suzuya Juuzou - white hair ver. (Tokyo Ghoul)
  • Misuki Nase - idol ver. (Kyoukai no Kanata)


Van: Do you make your costumes? props? Make-up? If not, who?
YC: Costume I used to have it commissioned since I can't see even if my life depends on it. I tried making Dead Master's (Black Rock Shooter) dress by hand using spandex, the Marionette's (Ragnarok Online) dress, also (Ragnarok into the Abyss) and I failed miserably. hahaha <\3

Props is usually mix... if I'm not lazy and have enough tools and knowledge I usually make it on my own.

As for make-up I usually do trial and error on my own face. I still suck at putting eyeliner so I usually ask someone to help me with it (*cough* Maki *cough* Mai *cough*). But now I have my own sewing machine and have graduated from a dressmaking vocational course, I just need to be unlazy to finish a costume. I have quite a number of pending to finish here... (TT~TT)


Cosplay Spotlight: Young Crusnik - www.thecollegecandy.com
Tenten Genin Ver (Naruto); Photo Maki Akai


Van: Where do you think you would’ve been today if you hadn’t found this hobby called cosplay?
YC: I'd be rich by now (cosplaying is an expensive hobby) and maybe doing a different buy and sell business.


Van: Is cosplay a hobby you could see yourself doing 10 years?
YC: Maybe... on occassion. I can't really say for sure, but I would most likely still be in this online business of mine.


Van: Aside from cosplay, what are your other hobbies?
YC: hmmm... watch anime, read manga, play games, read books, pig out in eat all you can or unique restos and cafes... and be a lazy cat.
Oh, and collect cute stuffs... I'm a hoarder.


Van: Any tips for cosplayers?
YC: Know your character. Learn some craft. And allocate and spread your budget correctly. Oh... and don't sacrifice your studies before cosplay. You can always cosplay on the next event, but it's better if you can graduate in school on the right time.
Vanessa
Vanessa

Vanessa is from Cebu, Philippines who loves to document her personal style, daily life, wanderlust and Japan Love in this small space she considers her personal diary.