August 13, 2017

Life Hacks // How I Manage My Time



I mentioned in my previous post that last June I went back to university to pursue my other dreams. Though, its not that easy to be in a strange and new environment. I found it very challenging and fun at the same time. Challenging because everything is new - new course, new university and new people with different personalities. Yet, that doesn't stop me from having fun and enjoying this journey. This also opens a new opportunity for me to meet very inspirational and courageous women whom I called friends.

At the same time university can be so demanding and stressful. Especially when most of your subjects if not all requires your time. Wishing you can divide yourself just to finish your projects, homeworks, reports, etc. If there is one thing I have learned in this kind of situation and my past experiences, that would be properly managing your time is the best solution you can do.

That's why I would like to share to everyone how I personally manage my time not just in school but also at home and even at work. Hopefully you might find this post helpful if you are still struggling to manage your own time. LET'S START...


1. DETERMINE YOUR PRIORITY.
The very first thing I do in order for me to manage my time properly is to know my priorities. These are the things I have to do and need to accomplish for the rest of the day/week/month. I plan my day ahead of time for me not to waste my time and avoid missing an important task or appointment. When determining priorities I  consider the following (1) importance, (2) deadlines and (3) level of difficulty of the task.

2. PLOT YOUR SCHEDULE/ MAKE A TO-DO LIST.
Now that I have determine my priorities, I write it down. It is because there is a big possibility that I might forget a task / appointment during a very busy day. So I suggest that you get a planner for you to plot your schedule or just an ordinary notebook where you can write your to-do list. With this we can avoid future conflict of schedule and easily adjust when something unexpected happens.

3. PREPARE YOUR NEEDS AHEAD OF TIME.
"I left my report at home", "I forgot my assignment", "I can't find my ID or other pair of socks" and so on....

Sound familiar right? What I do to avoid these situations and of course delays is always prepare everything(bags, reports, projects, uniforms, socks, shoes, etc) ahead of time (before I go to bed). I place my things in one place where I can easily see and grab them in the morning. With this I can also save some time.

4. GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP
Aside from preparing my needs ahead of time. I also prepare my body for a busy day ahead. So I make sure to have a good night sleep for 6 to 8 hours.To welcome the day with right energy.

5. BE A TASK MASTER.
Okay!
Yes you know your priorities, you already have a to-do list and you even prepared everything but you feel like doing nothing on the very day. I don't know maybe your not in the mood or just being lazy. Aside from wasting everything, your schedule for the next day(s)/ week(s) may be affected. So when you decide to to something stick to it. You will also learn the value of self-discipline.

6. COMMUNICATE YOUR SCHEDULE WITH OTHERS
To avoid conflict or miss communication, you should also consider others schedule. For instance you have a group project and so happens that your groupmates has different schedule. So you have to consider each others schedule and set a date where everyone can be around to plan and help. Also, ask your family member or friends of their future plans (trips, etc) so you can freely adjust your schedule.

7. USE YOUR TIME WISELY.
Time is precious so we should spend it wisely. When you have same free time, use it to do your homeworks, projects or reports ahead of time. You can also study in advance your lessons or review previous notes. Who knows your professor may give you a surprise exam or surprise oral recitation. Avoid spending too much time in unimportant things.
.
8. IT'S OKAY TO SAY NO.
Imagine this....
A friend/classmate of yours invited you to watch a movie but the thing is you still have to finish your project because tomorrow morning is the deadline.

Will you say YES or will you say NO?
Of course you know what is the right thing to do and that is to say NO. I'm not saying you should not have fun after a stressful day. What I'm saying is that there is always a right time in everything, including having fun. Just simply tell them why you can't go or reschedule your movie date the day after the deadline, when all of you are free from any school responsibilities. It is much better to have fun when you don't have to worry about anything.

9. IF YOU CA DO IT TODAY, DO IT.
" I still have time, I will just do it tomorrow" then the next day, you say the same thing.
or " I'm not in the mood to study right now, I will study tonight instead " yet, you end up not doing so.

When we have too much time we tend to slack around and without realizing we are already running out of time. I, myself is guilty with this. If you can do it to day , do it. This will help you avoid cramming on the day of the deadline.

10. TAKE A TIME FOR YOURSELF
Sticking to your plans is truly difficult but at the same time very rewarding. So celebrate and reward yourself for a job well done. When an exam/project is finally over have fun with your friends, go shopping, go to movie, or spend some time alone.


So that's how I manage my time. How about you guys, how do yo manage your time?

Thank you for reading till the end and I hope you learned something from me. Let me know what do you think about today's post.


Photo by Lukas Blazek on Unsplash
Vanessa
Vanessa

Vanessa is from Cebu, Philippines who loves to document her personal style, daily life, wanderlust and Japan Love in this small space she considers her personal diary.